15 August 2011

Dutch Kerrygold

One for the home brewers, this: Olm Pilsener, from Weesp, not far from Amsterdam. It's appearing on draught in an increasing number of Dublin pubs and is priced very much for the budget-conscious at well under €4 a pint. And, if the pint I had is in any way typical, it's the perfect reference point for what diacetyl tastes like in beer. Despite the pale pale yellow colour and the busy fizz gushing from the head-keeper at the bottom of the glass, it is very much like drinking a pint of Werther's Originals. A liquid butterbomb of the highest magnitude.

In my very tolerant way I did get through the full pint: it's light enough not to get too cloying though I did start to find it quite sickly towards the end. And no, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except those who approach it in the spirit of zymurological inquiry. Everyone else should probably order something different. Something, y'know, nice.

5 comments:

  1. Will have to keep an eye out for it. You know, for research purposes but I think a half pint will do from the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this in a Dublin pub. It has a mouth coating unpleasantness. The bubble effect in it is odd as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds plain odd. Obviously, I'd buy it for the glass itself; like a beer '99'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be really worried about knocking that little vase over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the most rediculous glass I've ever seen!

    BeerBirraBier.

    ReplyDelete