06 February 2012

I bought beer in Ikea!

I bought beer in Ikea. Just because it was there. I don't know if Ireland's Ikea sells beer, but Geneva's does, though unfortunately not specifically shop-branded: they're missing a trick there.

Anyway, Stockholm is from the Krönleins brewery in Halmstad (the other side of the country from Stockholm) and is a 5.3% ABV pale lager. All of that strength is present in the flavour, it being very sweet and heavy. There's a bit of a bum note on the end where I found an unfortunate metallic tang.

I didn't dwell on it long. If you're after something to chug down to take the edge off some difficult furniture assembly then I guess this is ideal. I won't be running back to the big blue shop for a refill, however.

8 comments:

  1. I've bought bottles from ikea southampton before, they weren't too bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at the Lakeside store at the weekend, but couldn't find any beer for sale...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems weird they don't sell homebrew kits instead of finished beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same thought as Bailey, I was fully sure you were going to mention how you had to put it together yourself, and found 12 leftover bubbles once you'd finished it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obvious gags and creaky hyperextended analogies? On this blog?

      Look, I didn't think of it OK? When they start doing beer in Homebase I'll include that bit.

      Delete
  5. The UK Ikea's sell grog so I suspect Ireland's do.

    Cheap hot dogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dodgy cider, good meatballs, great elk lasagne, decent sardines, stupidly cheap chocolate. And they sell furniture too, apparently.

    We've got one just down the road from us. We go sometimes just to buy a bag of candles and watch grown men have complete breakdowns in the aisles when they can't find the right piece of Billy for their bookcase.

    But I've never tried the beer. Probably because I'm too busy pumping tomato sauce all over my shirt whilst juggling six hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a whole different, stickier, universe.

      Delete