28 April 2015

The clock turns over

At 2.25pm on Thursday 28th April 2005 I was sitting at my desk in the basement of Leinster House. Mindful that I'd be beering in Birmingham in a few weeks' time, and that Oktoberfest was on the horizon for the autumn, I figured it was time to stop putting off starting a beer blog. Having satisfied myself that all the good names were already taken I picked a rubbish one, wrote an introductory post and clicked "Publish".

And here we are now: ten years, 1100 posts and some 4000 beers later. I suppose some sort of celebration is called for. I bought some Rodenbach Caractère Rouge, special like. Rodenbach has been my drinking buddy for longer than 10 years, so it seemed an appropriate choice.

This is a 7% ABV special edition given two years in oak and then six months ageing on raspberries, cherries and cranberries. I don't know if six months is a lot or a little as these things go, but the fruit certainly leaps out, with an immediate burst of tart fresh raspberries on the first sip, and then luscious juicy cherries coming in after and the dry tang of cranberry juice putting an edge on the finish. And the mature sour base beer is also present, subtle wood and just the light, refreshing acetic quality that I love about standard Rodenbach but is overdone in the Grand Cru. I'm glad it comes in 75cl bottles because it's very easy drinking. Well, it is my birthday, after all.

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 10 years. You have 20 months on me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professor Pie-Tin6:29 pm

    Yes,congratulations on establishing a must-read for beery types.
    I've also had two very good pub crawls in Amsterdam on the strength of your recommendations and discovered pubs you're written about in Dublin which I would never have visited.
    Looking forward to another ten years old cock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Professor! You can have a 10% loyalty bonus off next quarter's subscription.

      Delete
  3. Well done, John. Happy Blog Birthday! I've always been impressed by how you keep it running, and interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Barry. It's only meant to be interesting to me, but maybe I have criminally mainstream tastes.

      Delete
  4. Pup! Jeff was just saying the other day how you hadn't taken up the monkey head logo for some of your posts yet. It's a second decade thing I said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very second I start writing industry commentary rather than Wot Beer Tastes Of, I will roll out the chimp.

      Delete
  5. Well done John. Generally speaking yours is the only tasting beer blog that I bother with. You are a class act when it comes to beer description. Here's to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tanders. I try not to recycle the same descriptions too often.

      Delete
  6. The best beer blog around, congratulations! I've been spying a bottle of this in the Abbot's Ale House for a while but I've been burned by Rodenbach Grand Cru before, and haven't had the balls to go back since. Maybe I will...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And the Caractère Rouge is well worth a punt if you don't mind a bit of sweet fruit with your sourness.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 6 months on fruit is "standard" for those sort of beers. Congrats on 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Small world - I drank the same a day before.

    http://sashha.livejournal.com/1320529.html

    Probably to celebrate my 6 month of more or less conscious beer-tasting.

    Congrats on 10 years!

    ReplyDelete